Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hybrid

On Thursday, September 30, 2010, the class did its first hybrid online course. Wow, it was interesting the night got off to a slow start. Mainly because everyone was in different location which made the logging on process a little slower. However, I like the convenience of students benign able to participate from different location, I think that is the beauty of a hybrid classes. Like all classes, the hybrid class did have its challenges for instance the students method of communicating was through typing. Which, was fine thanks to the feature at the bottom of the screen that informed everyone else that someone was going to be posting? Although, typing could be time consuming I think the features that was available on the screen help reduce students from having to type, like when the teacher would ask a question students could agree or disagree by clicking on the feature button. Another thing I found challenging was that when working from home not all students have the same programs on there computer, which can make things difficult if you’re not computer savvy.
Being able to participate in the hybrid class gave me some indication as to what teaching might be like for future generations. If I were to use hybrid as an alternative method of teaching I would try to limit some of the challenges I spoke about; by assuring that every students has the same programs on their computer ahead of time. I would also request that students have either a webcam or some type of microphone they can use with their computer. By including these two requirements everyone would be on the same page, it would eliminate the use of excess typing and last minute discovery of not being able to access the same programs as other.



Hybrid Classes would be a good way to connect with students form all around the world. As a teacher I can picture using a hybrid set up inside a computer lab for younger students, so they could do pen pal assignments or research assignments with students from other location. Hybrid class also sound like a good learning addition for students who do independent schooling, because this way they are not totally learning alone.
The hybrid class was a little different from traditional online class because the hybrid class actually allowed students to see and hear the teacher talking, also if students had web cam or speaking devices they would also be able to be seen and heard. Whereas with traditional online classes students can only communicate through typing which makes, some students feel a little disconnect.
Overall, the assignment was fun, and interesting, I was a little frustrate because I was one of the students who had a different program than others, so I had to use an alternative. Besides from that I think the class was successful for me it allowed me the opportunity to see the possibilities of using a different form of technology and once again the convenience of being able to be at different location was wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Shanta,
    Even having the same program and being at school it got frustrating so you are not alone on this. All's we could do was try and do the assignments and see how well we did. I think that if high school students had this for a class they might be better prepared to do this because they are more computer savvy than we are now. The high school's would be able to have the computers all set up in their libraries or classes like ours and they would probably have the web cameras amd microphones already set up for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This on line classroom works well when evryone does have the same programs and equipment. I beleive there is a reason we stress communication is an essential part in life. Not being able to really communicate with everyone does make it difficult. Once they get this virtual classrooms down, I think that it will be great for many children. Even working in the field of education already, I have to say school is not for everyone. But we all want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you stated in your post. I too had problems with being on the same level as Prof. Tadeja, and some of the others who had the right software. At first I thought that I wasn't going to have this problem, because I logged in ahead of time before the class even started and did not have a problem. However, there was no way I could anticipate that Prof. Tadeja would want us to share our screens. I believe that the reason I could do this was that my computer was blocking me from being able to share my screen due to privacy options. That's a great idea about making sure everyone is on the same page, also the cameras and microphones would be a plus. I remember it took some of us a while to type some of our questions and answers. I did like the "raise hand" and "agree/disagree" option. This made it easier on some of us, who do not type as fast as others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shanta, I like the idea of using the computer lab for younger students where they could use this technology at school. I thought it would be difficult for elementary student to participate in this technology because some might lack a computer or be involved in activities after school. The computer lab would solve that problem. I also liked the idea of the students having pen pals. If each student had a webcam and a microphone this would be a great activity to for the students to use this technolog.

    ReplyDelete